Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Paul-R
donor 2020

Re: Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 18:53
Only one so far and it works! Got an email notification too :D
Allow me to send you a second one then!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Well it looks like things might be starting to settle down here a bit again, so hopefully I'll be in a better position to give said nudge and occasionally pop my head in the door from time to time again.

Point well noted about allergies to stuff though, I'll be sure to invoke as close to clean room procedures during any future visits as the last thing I'd want to do is make things worse.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 00:43
CitroJim wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 18:53
Only one so far and it works! Got an email notification too :D
Allow me to send you a second one then!

Received and enjoyed Paul 😄
Zelandeth wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 04:16
Well it looks like things might be starting to settle down here a bit again, so hopefully I'll be in a better position to give said nudge and occasionally pop my head in the door from time to time again.
Zel, that'll be excellent :D You know you're always welcome and I'm about most afternoons... Just ping me a txt first to check ;) Morrings I'm almost always out cycling...

Speaking of which, my poor old, high mileage and hard worked Giant TCR finally threw its toys (chain) the other day when its freehub bearing collapsed and seized... Time to book it into our local Indy bike mechanic for some TLC...

He fully overhauled the whole bike and posted some photos of the work on Facebook :D He did a cracking job and the bike now looks and feels brand-new :D
DS Cycles Facebook
DS Cycles Facebook
DS Cycles Facebook
DS Cycles Facebook
DS Cycles Facebook
DS Cycles Facebook
For £175 he did all this work and replaced the freehub, wheel bearings, bottom bracket, cassette, chain, all cables and brakes!

Excellent!

Just returned from an utterly beautiful run on a clear, frosty moonlit morning ❄😄👍 It was so good it was almost sexual!
Strava and Own Work
Strava and Own Work

Paul-R
donor 2020

Post by Paul-R »

Careful now!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Remember to take the camera with you tomorrow morning, Jim. You should see a Super Blood Red Wolf Moon between around 05:30.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:16
Remember to take the camera with you tomorrow morning, Jim. You should see a Super Blood Red Wolf Moon between around 05:30.

I did James but sadly it was too overcast 😥 All I could see during my run was a dull red glow in the sky...

My run was good though... And badly needed after a very stressful day yesterday and a concomitant poor night of sleep...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Must have been something in the air last night - was gone 6am before I really dropped off. Then up at 7:30 for an appointment...blarg!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 09:06
Must have been something in the air last night - was gone 6am before I really dropped off. Then up at 7:30 for an appointment...blarg!

The moon does strange things to us Zel ;)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Had the camera all ready and went out at 2:30 ish but it was too high in the sky to be of any use, just looked like any other moon.

It did have our local owl excited thought, hooting away just outside our house for ages.

I had my son's dog here over Christmas and when I took it out late at night the owl had it very perplexed.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

We used to have a barn owl living near to my parent's house which made a pastime of sitting on the shed roof and scaring the living daylights out of me when I was out there after dark.

They ain't nicknamed screech owls for nothing, and at point blank range are LOUD.

You'd have thought that after ten years I would have been expecting it...but nope, still made me jump every time.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When we lived in the Borders of Scotland we had an Alsatian dog. She slept in Mums' room. Her room and the living room had chimneys. One night an owl perched on the bedroom chimney, got comfortable, and then announced its' presence. This caused a few issues.

Mum was woken by several things. This included the noise echoing around her bedroom, and an Alsatian then trying to climb into bed with her, terrified out of her wits. Mum was pushed out of bed, the dog (wrapped up in a duvet) also fell off the bed, yipping in fear, the bedside table went over (breaking the bedside light), and the pillows burst. Mum managed to get to the door and switch on the bedroom light. The room looked like a bomb had hit it (feathers everywhere, duvet wrapped dog bouncing around the room, bedside table and contents on the floor), to the point where Mum went and slept on the living room sofa (she could NOT face cleaning that up at that time of night).

There was a stunned silence from the chimney!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 24 Jan 2019, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbo2286
donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's a really funny tale James :-D

On the earlier subject of masks I was watching a documentary where surgeons were performing an operation and instead of the usual taped up masks they were wearing a sort of cotton balaclava on their heads and up over their noses.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not happy with this cold weather :( It's keeping me off my bike... Not ridden since Monday and now getting cabin fever :twisted:
Own Work
Own Work
I did enjoy that one... 30 cold but lovely sunny miles... I'm the one on the right if in ay doubt!

I did a ride on Sunday in even colder weather - one of those days when its so cold and dry ice cannot form... About 15 minutes in I looked at my gloved fingertips and they were covered in hoar frost ❄😂

Monday's may be my last bike ride for a while I fear :( At least until this silly weater goes away... I love my cycling and not much stops me but the risk of ice and falling with broken bones as a very likely outcome is not for me! I'm not completely mad... Not Quite 😂

It's not stopped me running though :-D Got out for a short one yesterday morning on what was a skating rink... I ran slowly and carefully ;) I was running during the early part of the 'school run' :evil: I know I have allergies and intolerances to traffic fumes but I was shocked at my preceived level of traffic generated pollution yesterday... The air was truly filthy - I could have cut it with a knife :evil:

This morning... What a surprise 😲 I looked out of the window at 4am and it looked very icy. I didn't rush out to run but thought I'd risk a little one later and see how things were... I went out and found no ice, just rather cool ❄️ I took full advantage and enjoyed a great 7 mile run at a very brisk pace 😄💛 It got colder toward the end with little bits of snow in the wind...

Then there was a 'Dawn Dip' as it got light and a very hard frost indeed descended... Clear windscreens were soon well and truly frosted over...

I don't belive Dawn Dip is related to Hidden Dip but you never know...
Shamelessly nicked from the Interweb...
Shamelessly nicked from the Interweb...
hidden-dip.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 89 times

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

You just need more bikes, Jim!!

Saw a bloke out riding a 'fat' bike in 4" of snow last winter, and one the the guys here had studded tyres on his bike - effective, but hard work - if you stop pedalling on a light down hill, it slows down!! Good for winter training I guess....!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 13:11
You just need more bikes, Jim!!
Said no cyclist ever!!!

RichardW wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 13:11
Saw a bloke out riding a 'fat' bike in 4" of snow last winter, and one the the guys here had studded tyres on his bike - effective, but hard work - if you stop pedalling on a light down hill, it slows down!! Good for winter training I guess....!

Those who do things like that are seriously hard :) One of our club members often joins us for rides on her fat bike with 3" tyres and she can't half move on it too :)

For my winter training, when I really can't get out, I now have one of these badboys... Not mine but on very long-term loan :)
Own Work
Own Work
Soon I'll be able to hook it up to my laptop and go on virtual rides...