All Things V6...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Re: All Things V6...

Post by DHallworth »

Well, the gearbox is rebuilt and the car is home :) We had a lovely journey back in it today from Cheshire.

I took the 2.7 to Lymm where we met Shaun and Robert, swapped cars and then went our own separate ways :)
C6-1.jpg
The gearbox rebuild has worked a treat, you can't even feel it changing gear. The 3.0 is much quieter then the 2.7 too, you barely even hear the engine revs, the only way to really tell if it's changing gear is to check the rpm's on the dash.
C6-2.jpg
Got a few little jobs to do to get it to where I'm happy with it. I've ordered new side repeaters, the buttons on one of the keys are scruffy so I've ordered a key case, and if I can get it past 'er indoors I want the wheels refurbishing too.

On the way home from Lymm I met with Steve briefly too as I had some bits and pieces to hand over to him. We were in a Sainsbury's car park in Bamber Bridge where someone said "Is this an owners club meet? You never see one, let alone two!"
C6-3.jpg
Now the waiting game for registration begins!

David.

daviemck2006
donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I think apart from when I've been at meets I have only ever seen one in the wild. When I worked driving the airport courtesy bus we had one owned by an offshore worker who drove up from scouse land somewhere and parked it with us whilst offshore. I have been a passenger in Steve trainmans second one and that's the only time I have been in one. I was going to go for one but bought the 407 coupe instead. Good to hear it is working properly David, hope the registration doesnt take too much hassle to get.

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

The paperwork has been submitted for the registration so hopefully it won't take to long.

One thing I am amazed at is just how different the 3.0 HDi is from the 2.7 HDi.

David.

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Seeing those two C6s together reminds me of meeting up one evening with a fellow XM owner, at a pub in Hampshire a few years ago. My white S2 sat next to his white S1 in the car park.

Halfway through our meal, the bar girl came over, and said "Excuse me, but I must ask, there seem to be two very odd cars outside - some sort of rally, maybe? - anything to do with you two?" If the food and real ale hadn't been so good, we might have offered to take her for a spin.

moizeau
donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

The wife wasn't with you then Chris?

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Err . . . :roll:

Do two constitute a rally? From 2015...
Rob's and our white XMs, 2015.JPG

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I stopped at Costco for Diesel yesterday. An older bloke walked up from the car behind me and said something. I didn’t catch what he said so said “sorry?”

The chap said “Oh, I said nice car in French”. We chatted briefly whilst I told him a brief version of the collection story. :)

David.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

He then got back on the RNIB Club bus.....into one of the passenger seats

:)

lexi
donor 2019

Post by lexi »

Excellent David! It's a good'un now. Nothing looks quite like them in a modern car.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

How are you finding the LHD David ?

As someone whose first car was LHD in a RHD country I'm not sure that I would want to be driving a LHD car to be honest....

Overtaking and pulling out from parallel parking can be a right PITA from what I remember!

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I've not had a problem so far. The later C6's have bigger door mirrors so the visibility is great. There's a lot of glass in them too so can't complain. I've not driven it on A Roads for any duration yet though. I'm half wondering about a small camera mounted in the top right hand corner of the windscreen with a little LCD screen so I can see if it is an issue.

David.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Just hang back a bit on the straights (you have quite god grunt) and you have very different overtake opportunities in the twisty A's as you have better vision 50% of the time on tighter bends.
That said, narrow roads behind a large Van can be a pain if they are making "good progress", that is when I just relax a bit.

Do you really need/want to chuck a C6 about on the twisty bits ?
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 10 Dec 2019, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

The camera sounds a good idea with them being relatively inexpensive now - one for overtaking too?
A friend Camaro for a while and never had any problems with it in that respect, poorer visibility too.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

It would need to be a direct feed to the screen as WiFi/Bluetooth have way way to much lag and quite a large screen is needed to see an advancing "dot" and judge its closing-speed & distance. I tried and concluded I would die if I trusted the screen.................as above, there are times I just relax.

A well "trained & trusted" passenger helps a lot btw.

bobins
donor 2020

Post by bobins »

I never used to have any problems with overtaking when I had a left hand drive Unimog as the works' daily driver....... that said, I can't ever recall actually overtaking anything :rofl2: I did have 2 other motorists crash into it on different occasions though - I can only assume they didn't see it :shock: